You might have had the occasion to make some lemon curd recently and now you’re wondering what to do with it. I can hear you saying, “Thanks for the recipe Jody, it was fun, it was delicious. Now what?” Not to fear, I am here to help with some ideas. Because let’s be honest, you can only eat so many spoonfuls of straight lemon curd.
- Make a blackberry fool. You might have already seen this, but just in case, here’s another opportunity.
- Make some scones and spread them with fruit curd (raspberry or lemon would be the best) while they’re still warm. Try these classic scones from The Boy Who Bakes and for us non-Brits, sultanas are golden raisins.
- Make some thumbprint cookies and fill with lemon curd, like these cookies from Angie’s Recipes.
- Layer some yogurt, fruit, granola and fruit curd in a drinking glass and voila! Yummy breakfast parfaits.
- Put the curd (lemon or lime) in a sweet pastry crust to make a tart. Here is a recipe and video from Joy of Baking that is superb.
- Add fruit curd to cream cheese frosting for an extra flavorful icing.
I whipped up some pumpkin muffins the other day to put in the photo of my “frosting buzz” printable
and obviously had to add a generous amount of frosting. I don’t know what goes better on pumpkin (or pretty much any other flavor of) muffins than cream cheese frosting and with the added zing the lemon curd adds, this is the perfect foil for the spicy sweetness of the pumpkin, cinnamon and ginger in the muffins.
Lemon Curd Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter (one stick), room temperature
- 8 oz. cream cheese (one package), room temperature
- 1/3 cup lemon curd
- 10 oz. confectioner’s sugar (about 1 ½ cups)
- Place butter and cream cheese in the bowl of a mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. Beat until fully combined. Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add lemon curd and mix again until combined, scraping the sides of the bowl when finished.
- While the mixer is running on slow speed, slowly add the sugar a little bit at a time. Once all the sugar is added, stop the mixer and scrape down the sides of the bowl. Now beat on medium speed for one minute until thick and smooth.
What would you do with extra fruit curd? And what flavor is your favorite?
Want the hobby room diaries right in your inbox? You betcha.